Sep 9, 2005

Jacqueline Wu (吳倩蓮)

I wanted to profile Jacqueline Wu today, but when I tried to research more on her bio, I realized it was next to impossible to get decent information on the internet about her. On one hand, I'm happy - Jacqueline has long been on my list since I first saw her in Chinese movies, and this proves that she is a hidden gem. On the other hand, I had hoped to introduce the world to more of her history as I am limited in the historical facts contained within me. Despite all this, I will forge on because Jacqueline deserves it!


North American afficianados of Asian film will remember Jacqueline best from her 1994 role in Ang Lee's film 'Eat, Drink, Man, Woman'. However Jacqueline has been a versatile actress starting in 1990, working in both the Taiwanese and Hong Kong film industries. Her best traits are when she conveys emotions and the character's plight through the somber look and subtle expressions of her eyes.


Jacqueline was born in Taiwan in 1968. She graduated from the Taiwan School of Arts and majored in theater. She often participated in school dramas during her school years, and also worked as model for magazines and television advertisements. In 1990, Wu was cast in her first Hong Kong film A Moment of Romance, and was immediately nominated in the Best Newcomer category by the Hong Kong Film Awards for this performance. She has appeared in numerous Hong Kong films since then, and was awarded Best Actress by the Hong Kong Film Critics Society for her role in Ann Hui's Eighteen Springs in 1998.


One look at Jacqueline and she will become the most unforgettable thing in the movie. Particularly worthy of praise and the most often spoken about quality is her 'face'. It sounds superficial, but many movie-goers may not know her well enough by name but will often remember the face. The knock on Jacqueline is that even though she has starred in many movies, the majority of roles were utilized to complement other big name stars. Seldom will the movies be focused on Jacqueline. That is why I would recommend people who want to see what she is about to watch 'Eat Drink Man Woman' if they have not already done so.


It's interesting to note that the name 'Jacqueline' was actually bestowed to her by internet sites and her film companies. Jaqueline herself never claims to go by the english name, and like most Taiwanese (as it's a dirty secret that local Taiwanese do not like to conversate in english) prefers to be called her by her Chinese name, or Chinese nickname "Ah Lian".

Admittedly, the pictures displayed for this entry are merely headshots. I have not taken the time to do some movie screencaptures, but when I do so. I will update this entry. If you are an admirer of Jacqueline and have discussions or pictures to share, please do!

Babe Factor: 8.25 / 10

IMDb: Jacqueline Wu
Google Images: Jacqueline Wu
LoveHKFilm.com: Jacqueline Wu

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Vince on his comments about "Jacqueline" Wu. I first saw her in Beyond Hypothermia and was instantly captivated by her. I haven't seen all of her movies, but her performance in Eat, Drink, Man, Woman was fantastic. She is a very intense actress and quite beautiful. She seems to be a very private person, but not tainted by her fame. I would giver her a 9.5.